عاشقة الجنة

[FONT=&quot]WRITE IT OUT ( p.71)
Act.One (p.71)
A sentence is missing in the list of scrambled sentences. Give it to the students before you start brainstorming the topic related to the sentences. The sentence runs as follows : At least two great civilizations (establish) there.
a. Throughout the world, deserts are created because pastures near arid lands heavily are grazed and trampled.
b. Around towns, adjacent forest belts are denuded by people in their search for firewood.
c. More productive plants are introduced into semi-arid lands. As a result, indigenous plants necessary for the maintenance of the soil are nudged out.
d. Many people think that desertification is caused only by a change in climate, but the truth is that deserts are provoked by human actions.
e. Because of intensive production of cash crops like cotton and groundnuts, soil nutrients are dissipated and the topsoil is eroded by wind and water.
f. A long time ago, history was made in the deserts.
g. Today, about 140 million people are threatened by the spread of the desert caused through the interaction of climatic fluctuations and man’s abuse of his environment.
h. Desertification must be stopped now, otherwise deserts will be transformed into a curse for man soon.
i. These civilizations were built in deserts because people knew how to live in harmony with nature.
k. At least two great civilizations were established there.
Act. Two (p.71)
The students will write the whole paragraph on their portfolios indicating the various functions of the sentences.
1. f - 2. k - 3-i 4. g - 5. d - 6.a - 7.c - 8. e - 9.b - 10.h
WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE ? (p.73)
Skills check (p.73)
TEXT FIVE (p.75) ENERGY CONSUMPTION IN MODERN TIMES
READING COMPREHENSION
48 QUESTION ONE
Choose the one word that best keeps the meaning of the original word written in bold in these sentences from the text:
The global energy situation began to change significantly in the second half of the last century.
A. occasionally
B. frequently
C. greatly
D. virtually ( Key: The correct answer is C.)
Widespread ownership of energy- hungry appliances contribute to this huge growth in enegy consumption.
A.. unique
B. incredible
C. very big
D. noticeable (Key: The correct answer is C.)
QUESTION TWO
In line 15, the phrase it wasn’t until means :
A. It was before 1954.
B. It was after 1954.
C. It was in the year 1954.
(Key: The correct answer is C.)
WRITTEN COMPOSITION
Your school plans to produce a science magazine on the topic «Save more, consume less.» You have read the text on «Energy Consumption» and you decide to write an article in which you describe what people should do at home and elsewhere to consume less energy and save it for future generations. Write your article in 20 lines.
TEXT SIX (p.76) THE CONSERVATION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
READING COMPREHENSION
QUESTION ONE
What does the writer imply by: “Human beings, as producers, are positive resources” ?
A. They contribute to the country’s economic growth.
B. They produce good teachers.
C. They contribute to the creation of new jobs.
D. They avoid killing themselves in a nuclear war.
(Key: The correct answer is A.)
QUESTION TWO
In the writer’s opinion, human conservation means :
A. developing medical services for the disabled and the blind.
B. educating people better for new jobs.
C. producing more physical raw materials.
D. contributing to optimal living conditionals for human beings.
(Key: The correct answer is D.)
QUESTION THREE
Choose the one word that best keeps the meaning of the original written in bold in the following sentence from the text:
The conservation of positive human resources begins with health improvement.
A. problems
B. betterment
C. resources
D. organisations.
Key: The correct answer is B.)
QUESTION FOUR
In line 20, what exactly does the phrase “this direction” describe ?
WRITTEN COMPOSITION
What will happen to us when raw materials grow scarce ? Write a letter to your local newspaper in which you express your own views on this topic .
50 OBJECTIVES
PREVIEW (p.78)
PREVIEW (p.79)
Go through the preview to make the students aware of the main objectives of the unit. Brainstorm the project work and elicit a list of projects that your students can do. Then make them agree on the project they will carry out.
THINK IT OVER (p.79)
The pictures illustrate the topic of the unit. You are supposed to interact with your students about the pictures to familiarize them with the topic of the unit .
The two pictures illustrate Arab science during the Abbassides period. Refer to page 96 of the textbook to get information about this period. ...
WORDS TO SAY(p.79)
The focus is on word stress. Most of the words are related to science. Read them aloud as your students follow on the page of the textbook. Mark the stress as appropriate before you make your students repeat the pronunciation of the words.
DISCOVERING ******** (pp.80-83)
BEFORE YOU READ (p.80)
The students interact using the geometrical figure in the textbook. The aim is to revise the comparatives and to make the students familiar with vocabulary related to geometry before moving on to the first activity in the As you read rubric.
YOU YOUR PARTNER
- How many degrees has an acute angle got? -Less than 90%
- How many degrees has a right angle got? -90%
- How many degrees has an obtuse angle got? -More than 90%
- How many degrees has a straight angle got? -180%
- How many degrees has a reflex angle got? - More than180%
AS YOU READ p.80)
Act. One (p. 80)
The students check their answers to the activity in the Before you read section.
Act. Two (p.81)
52 1- Yes, there is. A point in geography has no dimensions (length and thickness) whereas a dot has length, width and thickness.
2- The stress is on have. (A straight line that we draw on paper with pencil have width and thickness)
3- The teacher advises his/her students to revise today’s lesson.
(It is not necessary to ask your students the same questions year after year.)
AFTER READING (p.81--83)
GRAMMAR DESK (p.81)
a- The result clause of sentence 1 is in the future simple.
The result clause of sentence 2 is in the present simple.
b- The condition in sentence 2 is true at any time because it is a general truth.
The condition in sentence 2 is of the domain of prediction. The students
may or may not get good marks.
c- When can replace if in sentences 2 and 4.
2- When two lines cross, the opposite angles are always equal.
4- When there are two points, the shortest distance between them is called
a straight line.
d- The order of the sentences is as follows: (2-4) (1-3)
Refer your students to Grammar Reference n°11, pp.201-202 to check their answers.
PRACTICE (pp. 82-83)
Act. One (p.82)
You can devise another activity to differentiate between the zero and the first conditionals.
a- We will get wet if it rains. (prediction)
b-.If you boil water at 100% centigrade, it evaporates. (scientific truth)
c- If you throw water on fire, it will stop burning.
d- If you drink some cool water ,you will soon feel better.
e- She will fall sick if she drinks that polluted water.
Act. Two (p.82)
A: Sentences
B: Functions
1. If you buy two, you will get one free.
2. I will help you do the exercises if you want.
3. If you do not stop making a noise, I will switch off the TV.
4. He will understand if you just explain why you came late.
5. If you touch that wire, you will get an electric shock.
6. If this jacket is the correct size, it will fit me.
F. promise
B. offer
D.threat
E. advice
C warning
A. prediction
Act. Three (p.82)
The students will write similar sentences identifying their functions.
Act. Four (p.82)
This is a game. So let the students express freely their own ideas as long as the conditional is used appropriately. This activity will be done by each group separately before doing it as a class.
G1: If you pass your exam, we’ll go to Brazil.
G2: What will we do if we go to Brazil?
G1: If we go to Brazil? We’ll visit Maracana Stadium.
Act. Five (p.83)
Make sure your students understand that will, may and can express different degrees of certainty.
KEY
a- If you fall down, you may break your arm.
b- That boiler can explode if you put too much pressure on it.
c- He may hurt himself if he mixes chemical products carelessly.
d- They can fail their mathematics and physics exams if they
don’t learn the theorems.
Other possible sentences:
a-If you drive too fast, you may have an accident.
b-If you spend too much money you can run out of it soon.
c If you overuse your old car, it may break down one day.
d-If you don’t pay your taxes on time, you can have a fine
WRITE IT RIGHT (p.83)
Brainstorm the topic with your students. The topic is familiar to them. So they
54 can add other interesting ideas about water properties.
Like air, water is found almost everywhere. It is familiar to us in different forms, as drinking water, water vapour, ice and snow.
Water has some surprising qualities. For example, most liquids freeze and become denser, but water becomes lighter. When you fill a pan of water, with ice cubes, you note that unmelted particles remain on the surface. The reason is that frozen water is lighter than water in liquid form. When water expands, it becomes ice and it exerts pressure. If you fill a glass bottle and put it in the freezer, the bottle breaks. As the frozen water expands, it exerts pressure on the glass bottle.
Water molecules have a strong attraction to each other. The force of attraction is called cohesion. If you moisten two pocket mirrors and stick them together, you will not be able to pull them apart. The water molecules on the surface of the pocket mirrors attract each other. But it is not difficult at all to separate dry mirrors because ...
SAY IT ALOUD AND CLEAR (p.84 )
Act. One (p.84)
The aim of this activity is twofold: The students will learn about intonation in complex interrogative sentences and the use of the modal should with the conditional if for giving advice. The intonation pattern is indicated by the arrows.
Car owner: What should I doî if the engine fails to start? ì
Mechanic: Check if there is fuel in the tank. î
Car owner: And if there is fuel in the tank. ì
Mechanic: Then you should check î if the battery is all right. î
Act. Two (p.84)
You can suggest different situations to your students wherein they will practise the ******** exponents suggested in the activity.
Act. Three (p.84)
A) words
Pronunciation
B) words
Pronunciation
Psychology
Democracy
Philosophy
Responsibility
Technological
/sa?`k?l?d¯?/
/d?`m?kr?s?/
/f?`l?s?f?/
/r?·sp?ns?`b?l?t?/
/·tekn?`lod¯?kl/
Solution
Television
Realistic
Static
aeronautics
/s?`lu:©n/
/tel?`v?¯n/
/·r??`l?st?k/
/`st?t?k/
/·e?r?`n?t?ks/
The rules for word stress
1; Stress on first syllable
Most two-syllable nouns and adjectives have stress on the first syllable.
2. Stress on last syllable
Most two-syllable verbs have stress on the last syllable.
3.Stress on penultimate syllable (second from the end):
Words ending in ‘ic’ , ‘tion’, and ‘sion
4. Stress on ante-penultimate syllable (third from the end):
Words ending in ‘cy’, ‘ty’, ‘phy’; ‘gy’
5. Polysyllabic words (words with many syllables)
These usually have more than one stress, i.e., primary and secondary stress. Often such words contain a prefix ( as with ‘inter’ and ‘anti’ in international and antibiotic). This is common with many long technical words.
6. Compound words (words with two parts)
If the compound is a noun, the stress goes on the first part : e;G;, greenhouse , blackbird.
If the compound is an adjective, the stress goes on the second part; e.g., bad-tempered, old-fashioned
If the compound is a verb , the stress goes on the second part, e.g., understand, overlook.
WORKING WITH WITH WORDS (p.85)
Act. One (p.85)
The activity can be assigned as a homework. The homework will be checked in class and the final product can be a classroom wall sheet. You can add another activity to consolidate further the use of the suffixes.
Act. Two(p.85)
Crossword puzzle p.85
Across
a-psychology
b-mathematics
c-zoology
d-astronomy
e-biology
f-ecology
g-chemisty
56 LISTENING AND SPEAKING (pp.86 -88)
DEVELOPING SKILLS (p.86)
Act. One
a- The advert addresses high school graduates.
b- “Open Day” is the day when the university is open for visit by high
school graduates who are interested to join the university.
Act. Two (p.86)
Across
a- The speakers are Jamel and Maya who are high school students.
b- Jamel.
c- He starts as follows: “I feel like going”.
d- Jamel wants to visit the faculty of medicine.
e- Maya wants to visit the faculty of civil engineering because she isn’t
interested in visiting the faculty of medicine.
Down
Physics
YOUR TURN ( p.87)
Go through the tip box to consolidate further the use of the ******** exponents for asking for and giving advice.
Act. One
Simulate the model dialogue before setting your students to task. Make them use the ******** exponents and the strategies in the tip box.
WRITE IT UP (p.88)
Act. One (p. 88)
Go through the tip box before you move on to the writing activity proper.
A letter for seeking advice
A suggested letter to an “agony aunt”:
Dear Dr Wells,
I’m writing to you to seek advice. My name is Omar and I’m a secondary school student. I can’t make up my mind about a personal problem.
I’ll sit for the baccalaureate exam soon. I’ll certainly succeed, but my parents are old and are in need of financial help. I would really like to help them. However, If I do so, I will have to give up my dream of becoming a doctor . In short I am in a dilemma. On the one hand, If I decide to help, I will have to renounce to my registration at the university. On the other hand, if I don’t, I’ll feel guilty of not helping my family. I have no one to turn to. What should/can I do ?
Sincerely,
“Miserable”
Act. Two(p.88)
Brainstorm the topic with your students. They can suggest different pieces of advice. Jot them on the board and let them agree on one of them. For example, they can suggest registration at the UFC (Evening University). This will allow ‘miserable’ the possibility of working during the day. This is one way of working one’s way through college/university.
READING AND WRITING (pp.89-91)
Act. One (p.89)
The students will try to answer the questions in the captions by helping themselves with the illustrations ( figures).
Act. Two (p.89)
a. Yes, it shows the balloons moving away from one and other. The illustration helps in understanding the word “repel” in the text. It also helps to visualise the whole experiment.
b. Yes, I have used my knowledge in physics. Using background knowledge helps in understanding texts.
c. The answer to the first part of the question may be yes or no depending on the students’ background knowledge. As regards the second part of the question, the answer is no.
Act. Three (p. 90)
Fig.2: It illustrates the result of the experiment : unlike charges attract. The balloons are attracted to the rod. They are negatively charged whereas the rod is positively charged.
Act. Four (p.90)
5-Captions:
Figure.3: A negatively charged balloon adheres to an uncharged wall.
Figure.4: A positively charged balloon also adheres to such a wall.
WRITE IT OUT ( p.91)
Brainstorm the topic with your students. Jot down ideas on the board and then let the students complete the letter in their own way. Pay attention to the layout of the letter.
WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE ? (p.94)
Skills check
Make your own test to check your students’ performance in the reading and writing skills. A model has been given to you in the previous units.
58 OBJECTIVES
PREVIEW (p. 98)
Go through the preview to acquaint the students with the end-of-the unit objectives. Discuss the type of project work your students will carry out.
THINK IT OVER (p.99)
Introduce the topic of the unit by asking some questions about the pictures included in the rubric.
WORDS TO SAY (p. 99[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]WORDS TO SAY (p. 99)
The focus in this activity is on words containing silent letters. The words are related to the topic of the unit. Read them aloud and make the students repeat the pronunciation of the words.
DISCOVERING ******** (pp.100-105)
BEFORE YOU READ (p.100)
Interact with your students and elicit answers to the questions attached to the map. You can ask other questions than the ones included in the textbook.
Some possible responses
Question: Where is the epicentre of the earthquake represented on the map?
Answer: A few kilometres off the Indonesian shore.
Question: Which areas are hit by the earthquake/ tidal waves?
Answer: Many countries in the region. The students can list different areas.
Question: How many people died?
Answer: More than one hundred thousand victims. The students can give the number of casualties in each area. The information is on the map.
Question: When did the earthquake happen?
Answer: It occurd on December 26, 2004.
AS YOU READ (pp.100-101)
Act. One (p.100)
The students will check the answers to the questions that they have not checked in Before you read activity.
Act. two (p. 101)
a- The natural phenomenon of Tsunami was little known before December
26, 2004 because the victims did not belong to many nationalities and ethnic groups. Or because it had not been given much publicity before .
b- Tsunami has become one of the most popular Japanese words bec[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] because of the thousands of T.V. channels which covered the disaster for more than a month.
c- No, it wasn’t the first time that a Tsunami had hit that region. It had already hit China twenty years earlier.
d- The Tsunami of December 26, 2004 was special as its victims did not belong to one nationality or religion.
60 AFTER READING (pp.101-102)
Grammar desk (p.101)
1- had hit- had recessed
2- was known-was universal
3- the past perfect tense
4- the simple past tense
Refer the students to the Grammar refernce n° 12 to consolidate further the use of the past perfect and the past simple.
PRACTICE (p. 102)
Both the past simple and past perfect are sometimes possible.
a. My husband and I wept when we (had) heard/heard the terrible news.
b. The world had never known such a disaster before.
c. It was the first time that an earthquake of such a magnitude had hit our country.
d. People had stayed outdoors until the local authorities told them to go back into their homes.
e. Many people had died before the paramedics arrived.
f. Old people told us that our country had already experienced such a catastrophe.
g. By the time the fire brigade arrive, our house had burnt out.
h. I had just switched on TV to watch the news when the flood came in.
I. The house which he had built twenty times earlier was in fire.
Act. Two (p.102)
China- the Chinese ; France- The French ; Wales- The Welsh ;
Japan- The Japanese; Ireland- The Irish; The Spain- The Spaniards
Burma- The Burmese; The Netherlands- The Dutch
Switzerland- The Swiss ; Sweden- The Swede
Act. Three (p.102)
Example
The people from Japan hadn’t suffered much from the tsunami.
The Japanese hadn’t suffered much from the tsunami.
a. The tsunami hadn’t distinguished between the poor and the rich.
b. The injured and the sick were taken to hospital.
c. Aid agencies gave food and water to the hungry and thirsty.
d. Th homeless were ****tered in tents.
WRITE IT RIGHT (p.103)
Brainstorm the topic with your students. Here are some ideas which can help you. When we write a narrative, we generally start by setting the scene. At this stage, we generally use the past simple and past continuous. e.g., It was in 1989. It was in summer. It was early in the morning. The breeze was blowing ...
Once the scene is set. Mention an event that interrupts or disturbs the
scene ( eg., Suddenly an earthquake shook out our building) and narrate or describe what was happening. ...
Your students will write about their own personal experiences with catastrophes.
SAY IT ALOUD AND CLEAR (p.104)
The rule for stress in compound words is as follows.
If the compound word is a noun, the stress goes on the first part; e.g.,
greenhouse - blackbird.
If the compound is an adjective, the stress goes on the second part; e.g[FONT=&quot]
Old-fashioned - sweet-tongued
If the compound is a verb the stress goes on the second part; e.g.,
understand - overlook
However, in connected speech, compound words are subject to stress shift when a stressed syllable follows closely.
( From Christiane Dalton and Barbara Seildlhoffer, Pronunciation, (Oxford University Press 2000, p.103)
Once upon a time there was a little red-haired and blue-eyed girl who was loved by all who knew her. She was called Little Red Riding Hood. One day her mother told her to take some sweet-smelling cakes to her grandmother who was living in the woods, but not to go into by-paths. That was dangerous.
When Little Red Riding Hood reached the woods, she met a funny-looking and bad-smelling wolf . Naturally, Little Red Riding Hood did not know what a wicked animal the wolf was! She thought that it was kind-hearted. So she listened to it when it told her to pick up some bluebells and daffodils for her grandmother.
While Little Red Riding Hood was picking flowers, the wolf entered her grandmother’s house and ate her up. Then he put on her grandmother’s night gown and night cap and went into the bedroom. When Little Red Riding Hood got to her grandmother’s house, she found the door wide open. Obviously something was wrong. Even her grandmother was odd-looking.
62 Act. Two (p. 104)
The rules are included in activity one. It has to be observed that there are some exceptions to the rules. For example, compound words are subject to stress shift when a stressed syllable follows closely. It is the case of red-haired and blue-eyed in red-haired and blue-eyed girl. Please explain the stress shift in compound words before moving on to the next activity. (Cf. Daniel Jones, Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary 16 th Edition, p. 111)
Discuss with your students about how compound words with adjectives are formed and on which word stress normally falls.
Act. Three (p.104)
“Ohì grandmotherî,” she saidî, ‘what big ears you have !” ì
“ The better to hear you with, my dear,” said the wolfî.
“ Grandmother, what big eyes you have!”ì
“The better to see you with .”î
“Grandmother, what big teeth you have!”ì
“The better to eat you with!”ì
And the wolf jumped out of bed ìand swallowed up Little Red Riding Hoodî. A huntsman saved Little Red Riding Hood î
and her grandmother by cutting out the wolf’s stomachî. They both lived happily ever afterî.
Act. Four (104)
The students will form as many words as they can. e.g., big-eyed - left-handed
big-headed; good-mannered; left-handed; blue-eye ; dark-skinned; old-fashioned; hard-working; black-haired ; fast-moving ... Please remind the students of stress shift in compound words in connected speech.
WORKING WITH WORDS (p. 105)
The examples are not necessarily the ones included in this key.
a.My grandfather fell off the ladder the other day when he was painting the kitchen. Fortunately, he didn’t hurt himself /Unfortunately, he broke his arm. /Obviously, he didn’t know that it was dangerous for a man of his age to climb up the ladder.
b. When Zohra first went to live in England, her English was very poor. Gradually, she started learning to speak English . Naturally, she met some problems in speaking English at first.
c. I left no stone unturned in my search for my missing keys. Eventually, I found them under the mattress./Strangely enough, they were in my pocket.
d. She was shouting and knocking at her neighbour’s door. Suddenly, a [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]dog[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]jumped out of the window and bit one of her legs. Surprisingly, no one heard her even though she was sure her neighbours were at home.
e. As the woman came down the stairs, she slipped. Said, immediately,
phoned for an ambulance.
f. He lived up to the age of 120 years. Sadly, he did not live to see his
grandchildren.
Act. Two (p.105)
KEY
Your students can write sentences containing other similes
a. He laughs like a hyena.
b. S/he is as hungry as a wolf.
c. She wouldn’t listen.She was like an ostrich with its head in the sand.
d. They clung to the tree branches, as agile as monkeys.
Act.Three (p.105)
KEY
a. She is a rose . b. The moon was a ship tossed upon a cloudy sea.
Act. Four (p.105)
Organise a talent show. You can assign the activity as a homework. The students will use the poem in the textbook as a model.
LISTENING AND SPEAKING (pp.106 -108)
DEVELOPING SKILLS
Act. One (p.106)
a- The authors of the collection of stories are the Brothers Grimm.
b- The story represented on the book cover is a folktale entitled: “Four
Friends”.
c- The purpose of the jacket blurb is to give a summary of the *******s of
the book in order to attract readers/potential buyers.
64 Act. Two (p.106)
Pause and ask questions to elicit responses. The students will check their predictions as you resume the narration of the story.
Act. Three (p.106)
Possible summary
The animals decided to leave their homes because they were afraid of being killed by their masters.They went to the great city to turn musicians. On their way there, they reached a house in which robbers lived . They frightened the robbers away. The four friends took possession of the house and the food. Then, they decided to go to the city. During the day, they sang their songs of wisdom. At night, they came back home to rest. They lived together happily until their death.
e.The moral of the folktale is that robbers never succeed in their enterprise, and honest people do even when they are old.
YOUR TURN (p. 107)
Go through the tip box before you move on to the activities.
Act. One (p.107)
Simulate the dialogue and brainstorm the topic ( e.g., eliciting the titles of their favourite science-fiction films and books.)before you set your students to task.
Act. Two
Simulate dialogues to illustrate what you expect of your students in terms of production. The model in the textbook can serve as a model.
WRITE IT UP (p.108)
Brainstorm the guidelines before the students move on to the writing activity.
The stories included in the script and those in the rubric of Exploring matters further can serve as models.
READING AND WRITING (pp.109- 111)
Act. One (p.109)
The questions and answers that your students will produce are not necessarily the ones included in this key.
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]1-Wh- questions using a newspaper lead-in:
Q:How many people died and how many were injured in the accident?
A: Two people died and nine were injured.
Q:Where did the road accident happen?
A:It happened near Boudouaou.
Q:When did it happen?
A:It happened on/ lastTuesday.
Q:Why did it happen?
A:It happened because the motorist heading to Boudouaou was phoning while he was overtaking a bus.
Q:Who inquired about the accident?
A:Gendarmerie officers did.
Act. Two (p. 109)
KEY
The answers will not necessarily be formulated in the same way as in this key. The important thing at this stage is the discussion . The students will check their answers with the information in the tip box on page 110.
a-Yes, because the rest of the article develops further the information given in the lead-in, which is only a summary of the news item.
b-Yes, the picture shows a collision between a lorry and a car. We can, therefore, visualise the accident.
c-The writer reports both facts and opinions. S/he does so in order to
explain the reason why the accident happened. The facts are there, we can’t change them, but the author’s opinion can be questioned on the basis of the background knowledge that the readers/students might have about the different actors and the cirmcumstances in which the accident happened.
d-Yes, I am. The couple described is sympathetic and was not all responsible for the the accident.
Act. Three (p.110)
First, go through the tip box to check the students’ answers in activity two. Then brainstorm the topic, elicit other ideas and jot them on the board. The students will develop the relevant jottings.
WRITE IT OUT (p.111)
Act. One (p.111)
Statements by the motorists and eyewitnesses
b-The motorist was not wearing his seatbelt when the accident
happened.
c-While she was driving, the bus driver was talking to one of the passengers.
d-I was checking the wing mirror when the lorry hit me from behind.
66 e-While I was turning slowly into a narrow street, the pedestrian
jumped in front of my car.
Statements by the traffic police officer
a-As soos as I arrived at the scene of the accident, I made the traffic
move.
b-The paramedics had taken the victims to hospital before I arrived.
c-After I had questioned some witnesses, I took some photos of the damaged
vehicles.
d- I hadn’t written my report until I questioned the eyewitnesses.
e-When I had finished questioning the eyewitnesses, I went to hospital to question the injured motorists.
Act. Two (p. 111)
The students will use the newspaper article in As you read rubric as a model. They will also get inspiration from the first activity on page 111.
A possible answer
An accident happened yesterday. A pedestrian was hurt by a car. As soon as I arrived at the scene of the accident, I made the traffic move. The paramedics had taken the victim to hospital before I arrived. “While the car was turning slowly into a narrow street, the pedestrian jumped in front of the car” an eyewitness said. When I finished questioning the witnesses, I went to hospital to question the victims. ...
WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE ? (p.113)
Skills check (p.113)
Follow the models provided in the previous units.
OBJECTIVES
68 PREVIEW (p.118)
Go through the preview to make the students aware of the main objectives of the unit. Then brainstorm the project work with your students and let them decide what type of project they will carry out.
THINK IT OVER (p. 119)
Interact with your students using the pictures. The interaction about the pictures will serve as an entry into the topic of the unit.
WORDS TO SAY (p. 119)
The focus of this activity is on the pronunciation of the -ed inflection. Make sure your students repeat the words in the checklist. All the words are related to the topic of the unit.
DISCOVERING ******** (pp.120-125)
BEFORE YOU READ (p. 120)
The answers to the questions will not necessarily be formulated in the same way as in this key.
The first symbol represents a crescent; the second a cross; the third
symbol is a diamond. (The International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent societies is still discussing whether to adopt the diamond as an alternative common symbol). Refer to the text of the textbook on page 135 for further information about the Red Cross and Red Crescent societies.
b-They represent the different organizations which bring relief to people in
need.
c- No, people who work for these organizations are volunteers.
d- They operate in situations in which people are in need of help. (natural
disasters such as earthquakes, floods...).
f-They fulfill the following duties:
(1)fund raising
(3) collecting food aids
(4)helping with medical care
(6)providing assisstance in emergency situations
AS YOU READ (p.120)
2- a- The report is about Youth charity
b- The author writes about the findings/results in the second(2) paragraph.
-S/He writes/ gives the interpretation in the third (3) paragraph.
c- The reporter used the word “interestingly” to show his/her surprise at the
the unexpected results of the survey.
d- No, it doesn’t. The data gathered by Youth 2010 show that young
people are more thoughtful than they were thought to be by their parents.
AFTER READING (pp.121- 123)
Grammar desk (p. 121)
1- The tenses used in the reporter’s questionnaire are the present perfect and the past simple.
2- The past perfect tense is used in the report.
3- Yes, there is a shift from the present perfect and the past simple tenses to the past perfect tense because the reporter reports indirectly what was said by the informants.
4- said (to say); told (to tell)
PRACTICE (pp. 122-123)
Act. One (p.122)
Example:
You: What did the interviewer ask Bill Gates?
Your partner: S/He asked him when he had started Microsoft.
You:And what did he say?
Your partner: He said/told him that...
The interview
You: What did the interviewer ask him?
Your partner: S/He asked him where he had grown up.
You: And what did he answer?
Your partner: He said that he had grown up in Seattle, Washington.
Your partner: S/He asked him where he had discovered his interest in Software.
You: And what did he say?
Your partner: He answered that he had discovered his interest in Software at the private Lakeside School.
Your partner: S/He asked him when he had begun computer programming.
Your partner: He answered that he had begun computer programmingat the age of 13.
70 You: What did the interviewer ask him?
Your partner: S/He asked him when he had entered Harvard University.
Your partner: He said that he had entered Harvard University in 1973.
Your partner: S/He asked him if had developed the first computer there.
Your partner: He answered that he had developed it there.
Your partner: S/He asked him how long he had been Head of Microsoft.
Your partner: He said that he had been Head of Microsoft for more than 20 years.
Your partner: S/He asked him why he had set up the Bill Gates Foundation.
Your partner: He answered he had always been thoughtful about others.That’s why he had done it.
Your partner: S/He asked him how much money he had donated that year.
Your partner: He said that he had donated $3.2 million.
Your partner: S/He asked him which charities he had supported so far.
Your partner: He answered he had supported organizations working in the field of health and learning.
Your partner: S/He asked him if his wife had helped him.
Your partner: He said that she had helped him.
Act. Two (p. 123)
a- Albert Einstein doubts whether present-day Americans have become any happier since their grandparents settled in the country.
-Albert Einstein doubted whether present-day Americans had
become any happier since their grandparents settled in the country.
b- John Donne writes that no man is an island.
- John Donne wrote that no man was/is an island.
c- - Bertrand Russel says that three passions have governed his life:
the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and an unbearable
pity for the suffering of mankind.
- Bertrand Russel said that three passions had governed his
life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and an
unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.
WRITE IT RIGHT (p.123)
Have the students read the pie chart. Then ask questions to elicit information from the chart. Make sure you use the reporting verbs in the yellow box. Move on to the writing activity once you feel that they can do it. The text on page 120 of the textbook will serve as a model.
SAY IT LOUD AND CLEAR (p.124)
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Act. One (p.124)
The silent letters in the poem are written in bold type. Read the poem and get the students to repeat it. The poem is by Rudyard Kipling.
- honest
- taught – knew
- what – why – when
- where – who
The silent letters in the dialogues are written in bold.
You: I beg your pardon. What did you say ?
Your partner: I said, “ One autumn day a column of condenmned prisoners solemnly marched along singing hymns”.
You: I beg your pardon. What did you say ?
Your partner: He said, “The knights knocked the knave on his knuckles with a knotted knob. He knew when he knelt on his knees, he had a knife in his knitted knickers.”
Act. Two (p.12)
72 Pronunciation
Spelling
Pronunciation
Spelling
Listen
Report[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Famine
Doctor
cupboard
Writing
Wednesday
Starve
Cut
cute
WORKING WITH WORDS (p.124)
Act. One (p. 125)
a-The thief admitted that he had stolen the bag.
b-The mother prayed/begged the doctor to save her son.
c-She apologized for being late.
d-She ordered him to go there.
e-He suggested to go out for a walk.
f-She advised her girlfriend to consult a doctor.
g-She blamed him/her for breaking the vase.
h-Leila agreed that the flowers were really beautiful.
Act. Two (p.125)
Go through the rest of the reporting verbs in activity one. Then get your students to imagine situations like those in activity and to report what is said using the reporting verbs. This can be done either in class or at home.
LISTENING AND SPEAKING (pp.126 - 128)
Act one (p. 126)
Let the students interact and to decide on the correct order. Don’t correct their responses at this stage.
Number
-1-
-2-
-3-
-4-
Letter
b
c
d
a
Act. Two(p. 126)
Students check their answers.
Act. Three (p.126)
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]The mistake consists of adding to the idiom had better and had better not.
The correct answers are in script n° 6, on page 184 of the textbook.
YOUR TURN (p. 127)
Go through the tip box to consolidate further the expressions used in asking for and giving advice.
Act. (p.127)
The students will use the cues to ask for and give advice. There are many possibilities.
Before an earthquake
You:What should I do before an earthquake?
Your partner: You’d better have an earthquake survival kit at hand.
Other suggestions:
You’d better know how to turn off gas, water and electricity.
You’d better plan emergency procedures.
You’d better make plans to keep your family together.
You’d better know emergency telephone numbers (doctor, hospital…).
You:What shouldn’t I do before an earthquake?
Your partner: You’d better not anchor objects like bookcases and kitchen
units to walls.
Other suggestions:
You’d better not place objects over beds.
After an earthquake

You:What should I do after an earthquake?
Your partner: You’d better check for injuries.
Other suggestions:
You’d better provide first aid.
You’d better check for building damage and potential problems during
aftershocks.
You’d better clean up dangerous spills.
You’d better wear shoes.
You’d better turn on the radio and listen for instructions from public safety
agencies.
You’d better use telephone for emergency only.
WRITE IT UP (p.128)
Act. One (p. 128)
Go through the tip box before moving on to activity two.
Act. Two (p. 128)
74 Refer the students to activity one in Your turn rubric page 127. They may get inspiration from the cues. The answer to this activity is not necessarily the one given in this key.
ANNOUNCEMENT
Dear citizen,
Our town is situated in an earthquake zone. We can’t do anything to stop earthquakes, but we should see to it that safety measures are taken in order to limit the loss of human life and material damage.
Before an earthquake, we’d better not place objects over bed because they may fall over family members and injure them. ...
During the earthquake, we’d better not panic and run away in all directions, for we can be injured or killed . We’d better stand in a doorway or crouch under a desk or a table, stay well away from windows or glass dividers, for our safety. ...
After an earthquake we’d better provide first aid because family members and neighbours may be injured. ...
READING AND WRITING ( pp.129 -131)
Act One (p.129)
Interact with your students. The picture is supposed to have been taken after the earthquake that shook Bourmedes in 2003. Don’t correct your students’ guesses at this stage.
Act. Two (p.129)
The women are taking food to their neighbours because the latter have lost their homes.
Act. Three (p.130)
Great calamities can show the best in man. For instance, while I was covering, for my newspaper, the earthquake in Boumerdes I met a group of women carrying plates of Kouskous. “Where are they going all together like that?” I asked Rafik, my Algerian friend and translator. “They are taking food to their neighbours who have lost their homes,” he replied. After a few minutes, he added, “People have always helped each other over here. But this earthquake has considerably increased that sense of neighbourliness”.
Act. Four (p.130)
KEY
The journalist asked Raffik where the women were going all together.
Raffik replied that they were taking food to their neighbours who had lost their homes. He said that people had always helped each other over there and he added that that earthquake had considerably increased that sense of neighbourliness.
WRITE IT OUT (pp.130-131)
Act. One (p. 130)
KEY
There are many possible answers. e.g.,
Some people think that we can reduce poverty in Africa by giving more food aid. Some others believe that food aid is not the solution to starvation and malnutrition in Africa.
Act. Two (p.130)
Suggested answer
Some people think that we can reduce poverty in Africa by giving more food aid. This is totally wrong. Billions of dollars are alredy spent on food aid and thousands of people are still dying from hunger and famine. I believe that ... (Students will develop the relevant notes to support this second opinion.)
The irrelevant notes are as follows:
- Africa has long history/culture
- music beautiful
WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE ? (p.133)
Skills check (p.133)
TEXT SEVEN (p.134) SOLIDARITY IN NATURAL DISASTERS
READING COMPREHENSION
QUESTION ONE
Read the statements from the text and select the answer about what they imply:
1. Global warming will increase the occurrence. As a result …
A. disasters are not limited to specific regions.
B. Desertification will decrease .
C. It is necessary to promote a culture of prevention.
D. There will be more storms, floods and droughts.
(Key: The correct answer is D.)
2. Natural disasters are man-made to a large extent. Therefore …
A. It is necessary to control population growth, movements and displacements.
B. Solidarity is essential for people to survive.
76 C. Earthquakes will necessarily lead to chaos.
D. Unemployment will increase with natural disasters.
(Key: The correct answer is A.)
QUESTION TWO
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Consider the words below. In which one does the suffix «de» means «lack something» ?
A. desertification
B. deforestation
C. devastating
(Key: The correct answer is B.)
QUESTION THREE
What is the verb form of these words?
Words
Verb form
1. statement
2. increase
3. preventive
4. growth
5. displacement
6. emission
7. erosion
8. destruction
9. recurrence
10. promoter
WRITTEN COMPOSITION
A monthly magazine has invited readers to contribute some ideas on how to increase solidarity among people in case of a natural disaster (earthquake, tsunami, floods, hurricanes, etc.). Write a proposal on how you will deal with the problem and what solutions you will suggest.
OBJECTIVES
78 PREVIEW (p.137)
Go through the preview and make the students aware of the objectives to be reached in this unit. Brainstorm the project work and let the students agree on the project they will carry out.
THINK IT OVER (p. 138)
Interact with your students using the pictures. The pictures are supposed to make the students aware of the topic of the unit.
WORDS TO SAY (p.138)
All the words in the checklist are compound words. Focus on stress when you read them aloud. The rules for stress in compound words have already been given in this book.
DISCOVERING ******** ( pp.139-145)
BEFORE YOU READ (p.139)
It is not necessary to check all the answers at this stage. Your students are supposed to check some of their answers in the As you read activity.
a-The author of the book is H.G.Wells.
b-The titles of novels included in the book are: The time
Machine,and The War of the Worlds.
c-Their theme is science fiction.
d-Suggested answer: I like films like Star Wars or ET.
e- Suggested answer: yes, I do. I like it because it narrates imaginary
scientific and futuristic stories.
AS YOU READ
Act. One (p. 139)
Check the answers you have not checked in the Before you read rubric.
Act. Two (p.140)
a-All science fiction films are based on the following hypothesis: “ what if it
were real?”
b- They are different because some scenarios are built on the supposition that Martians are dangerous whereas some of them suppose that they are friendly.
c-Sci-fi takes its ideas from current ideas in science.
d-Dr Jekil and Mr Hide teaches us to remain close to human nature and not try to upset it. (The answer to this question can be formulated in different ways.)
AFTER YOU READ (pp.140-142)
1- The conjunction If expresses condition.
2- The tense of the verb in the if-clauses of sentences a, b and c is the past simple. The clauses are about something unreal, unlikely or untrue. They refer to either to the future or present, but not to the past.
3- The modal used in the result clauses is would. The future form of this modal is will.
Let ‘s consider sentence d:
1- The past tense used in the if-clause is the past perfect simple.
2- It refers to something impossible, something which did not happen.The speaker is dreaming of or imagining a different past. But the past cannot be changed!
3- The speaker uses would have + past participle.
PRACTICE( pp.141-142)
Act.One (p.141)
KEY
a. If animals could speak, they would complain about our ingratitude to them.
b- I would change my destiny if time travel was possible.
c- If Hitler had not existed, the history of the world would have been
different.
d-If Arabs had not translated and (had not) conserved Greek scientific works, humanity would have lost an important part of its cultural heritage.
Act. Two (p.141)
KEY
a-Advice
b-Regret
c-Blame
Act. Three (p.141)
Brainstorm the if-clauses before you set your students to task. Provide them with any necessary help.
Act. Four (p. 142)
a-could
b-could
c-might
d-could
80 WRITE IT RIGHT (p.142)
Brainstorm the topic of the newspaper article. Don’t forget to remind them about the layout of a newspaper article: catchy headline, lead-in and the article proper. The students will use their background knowledge in history to write their articles.
SAY IT LOUD AND CLEAR (p.143)
Act. One (p.143)
The words which are emphasized are: don’t and do.
Act. Two (p.143)
You: Do come to watch a science fiction film with me if you can!
Your partner: That will be nice!
You: I did enjoy that film!
Your partner: So did I. It did give me a fright.
You: I do believe in the existence of Martians.
Your partner: So do I.
Act. Three (p.143)
The emphatic words are written in bold type.
WORKING WITH WORDS (pp.144-145)
Act. One (p. 144)
a-well known
b-well written
c-well appreciated
d-well informed
e-well paid
Act. Two (p. 144)
It is preferable that your students limit themselves to compound words related to the topic of the unit. e.g., space-suit; space-craft; space-rocket; space-vehicle; space-time ; space-helmet; science fiction; natural sciences; social sciences; applied sciences
Act. Three (p. 145)
3-a-look up
b-back to
c-look after
d-looking down
e-looking forward
f-looking into
g-looked away
Act. Four (p.145)
The students will give as many examples as possible.
Act. Five (p.145)
Two special meanings for look up and look down:
look up: (1) turn the eyes upwards(e.g., the ceiling)
(2) search for something
look down: (1) turn the eyes downwards (e.g.,the floor)
(2) look with disregard/contempt
Note: The first meanings are denotative, and the second meanings are
connotative. Illustrate the difference between phrasal and prepositional verbs.
Act. Six (p.145)
Encourage your students to include other phrasal and prepositional verbs.
LISTENING AND SPEAKING (pp.146-147)
Act. One (p. 146)
Interact with your students using the picture as a support. Don’t check the answers to the questions at this stage.
Act. Two (p.146)
a-They are injecting a vaccine against bird flu.
b-The woman wearing a mask is cautious; she’s afraid of contaminated by the bird flu epidemics.
Act. Three
Explain the meaning of the word “synthesize” before you set the students to task. When we synthesize texts we are generally interested in the general ideas which are conveyed by these texts. As an alternative activity, you can give three short summaries of the conversation between Ali and Said and let the students choose the most appropriate. Students will discuss their own choices if there are many.
Act. Four (p. 146)
-A sentence used to ask for an explanation: What do you mean?
-A sentence used to interrupt someone: Wait a minute!
- A word used to resume speaking after being interrupted: Well
Act. Five (p.147)
The intonation goes down at the end of statements except in case where the statement is not finished.
82 said itî might (Intionation goes up) science î time î problems î themî
YOUR TURN (p.147)
Go through the tip box before you move on to the activities.
Act. One (p.147)
There are many possible answers.
You: Anyway so far industry hasn’t just solved problems. It has also
created some others.
Your partner: I didn’t quite catch what you mean.
You: Well…Take the case of pollution for example. Because of industrial
wastes, rivers, seas and the earth are dying. The air is poisoned;
water is polluted,; and the land is full of tons of rubbish.
Act. Two (p. 147)
There are many possible answers. Give any necessary help to your students.
I think about my childhood with many regrets. For example, if I had worked at school, I would have succeeded in getting a good job. ... (This activity can be continued as a chain game. ) And if I had got a good job, I would have ...
WRITE IT UP (p.148)
Go through the tip box and explain the difference between prose and poetry.
The students are supposed to use the past perfect tense in the first stanza.
Sometimes I lie in bed at night
And think how my life could have been quite all right
I think and think of all the opportunities I had lost.
Oh! If only I had thought of working hard at school ...
READING AND WRITING ( pp.149-150)
Act. One (p. 149)
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
Don’t check the students’ answers at this stage.
Picture1: Archimedes’ principle / the law of buoyancy (Refer to the text in Exploring Matters Further page 97)
Picture 2:- Isaac Newton’s discovery of the universal law of gravitation.
gravitation
-These laws and principles were discovered by accident.
Act. Two(p. 149)
Check your students’ answers to the questions in activity one.
Act. Three (p.150)
a-The topic of the text ie related to scientific discoveries.
b-The main idea of the text is that some famous discoveries were made by
accident.
c-The author of the text tries to convince/persuade the reader that scientific discoveries are not always the result of ingenuity.
d-He gives two examples to illustrate his point.
e-I agree with the author because the argument of the text is well constructed./The students can also disagree by saying that it is true that chance plays an important role in scientific discoveries, but chance alone is not enough. We need people of genius to note/observe what is happening at the moment the miracle happen.
TIP BOX (p.150)
Go through the tip box and explain to the students how they discuss a text.
Act. Four(p. 150)
Possible answer
This text is about scientific discoveries. The author believes that some famous discoveries were made by accidents. He gave us two examples to convince us. I don’t really agree with him.It is true that some of the greatest discoveries happen by accident; but it is also true that it takes a genius to understand the meaning of the accident. It also takes a lifetime of toil and perspiration to make an invention.
WRITE IT OUT (p.151)
Go through the tip box before you set the students to task.
Possible answer
The greatest name in the history of electrical research in the first half of the nineteenth century is that of Michael Faraday. His career furnishes a classical example of a poor boy who made good as a scientist. He was born in Newington, Surrey, England in 1791. Faraday was the third son of a poor blacksmith who moved to London to mend his fortunes. Faraday never went beyond elementary grades in school. He dropped out and was apprenticed to London bookbinder at an early age. Endowed with the curiosity that is the characteristic of the true scientist, young Michael started to read some of the books he was binding. He saved money to attend lectures on science. Later, he worked as a laboratory assistant to Sir Humphry Davy, one of the famous scientists at the time. His duties included bottle washing and other disagreeable chores. Sir Humphry Davy was jealous, so Michael quitted his job and spent the rest of his time doing research and teaching.
84 Faraday married Sarah Barnard, a Silversmith daughter who was a devoted wife. He became a professor of chemistry in 1833. He discovered the principle of the dynamo, and then the radio waves in 1845. He studied electrolysis and introduced scientific terms such as “anode” and “cathode”. Though Faraday’s electrical discoveries represent his chief contributions to science, he also did important work in chemistry.
WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE ?
Skills check (p.154)
TEXT EIGHT ( p.157) WILL VOLCANOES CAUSE THE END OF THE WORLD ?
READING COMPREHENSION
QUESTION ONE
Read about the volcanoes and match the statements with information from the text.
statements
information
1. Height of eruption in sky
2. Area destroyed by ash and lava
3. Depth of laca pouring over USA
4. temperature of planet after ash invades atmosphere
5. first eruption Yellowstone Caldera
a. I million years ago
b. 5 inches
c. 30 miles
d. 600 miles
e. 15° C
QUESTION TWO
Pick out 6 words or phrases that relate to ‘volcanoes’.
( Key: The words are the following: eruption, power, magma, ash,acid rain, black rain.) (‘Explosive force’ can also be accepted.)
QUESTION THREE (Key: The correct answer is C.)
Does the information in the text consist of :
A. a comparison with similar phenomena ?
B. results of an empirical investigation ?
C. statistical evidence ?
D. beliefs based on a personal experience ?
WRITTEN COMPOSITION
You have read a book or seen a film about disasters. Write a report on how the survivors have managed to establish a community after this disastrous event.
OBJECTIVES
86 PREVIEW (p.158)
Go through the preview and brainstorm the project work.
THINK IT OVER (p.159)
Interact with your students using the pictures. The students will be introduced to the topic of the unit.
WORDS TO SAY (p.159)
The focus in this activity is on shift of stress in words due to a change in their category.
DISCOVERING ******** (pp.160-162)
BEFORE YOU READ (p.160)
Your students will check their answers by referring to the lettters included in pages 160 and 161.
a-The expression “handle with care” is written on packets/boxes containing
( easily broken) fragile objects which are in transit.
b-I think that she sells vases.
c-She feels angry because the vases have been damaged in transit.
AS YOU READ (pp.160-161)
Act. One (p. 160)
The letter which the picture p.160 best illustrates is letter C.
Act. Two (p.160)
A: The letters are business letters. They are written for business transaction.
( There are other possible answers.)
B: 1-order placement-D
2-letter of complaint-C
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] 3-order/receipt of acknowledgement-B
4-advice of dispach-A
C: Chronological order in which the letters are sent: D-B-A-C
AFTER YOU READ (p.162)
Grammar Desk (p.162)
a-The link words written in bold express purpose.
b. All the main clauses are in the front/first part of the sentences and the subordinate ones in the second part (after the conjunctions written in bold).
c-Sentence 4: The verb in the main clause is in the present continuous tense
whereas that of the verb in the subordinate clause is in the future
tense.
Sentence 5: The verb in the main clause is in the future tense whereas the second verb is preceded by can.
d- The sentence which is acceptable is the following:
We would like our order to be processed promptly in order not to miss the summer sale.
This one is not acceptable.
We would like our order to be processed promptly not to miss the summer sale.
PRACTICE (p.162)
Act. One (p.162)
The students can develop further the introductory sentences they have obtained.
Possible answers
a-Dear sir,
I am writing to congratulate you for the new born baby.
b- Dear sir,
I am writing to apologize for the offence.
c- Dear sir,
I am writing to apply for the job advertised in USA today.
d- Dear sir,
I am writing to enquire about the quotations for Spring and Summer clothing.
e- Dear sir,
I am faxing you information about the merger of our company with the Yamakachi Company.
Act. Two (page 162)
-a-Would you therefore please let us know about your wishes as soon as
possible so that we can reserve the rooms you need.
-b-Please, place your order for our new range of products by 15 December
so that you can benefit from the discount prices on the price list.
WRITE IT RIGHT ( p.163)
Act. One (p.163)
Brainstorm the layout before you set your students to task. The activity can be related to the area where your students live. The text below is not necessarily the one that your students will produce.
Dear Mr _____,
We are writing to ask for information about the city of Oran. We are a group of manufacturers of airconditioners from Leeds and we are interested in opening a business in Oran. Would you please send us information about the following:
a. working hours
b. ********s spoken
88 c. working force ...
Thank you in advance for any information you can provide us with.
We look forward to receiving your reply.
Yours faithfully,
Air and Co.,
Act. Two (p.163)
The activity can be related to the area where your students live.
SAY IT LOUD AND CLEAR (p.164)
You can put stress on the words starting either from the beginning or from the end of the sentence . The focus is on the shift of stress at the sentence level.
a-June b-Algiers c-business d- going e-you
See the key to activity two below.
Act. Two (p.164)
The focus is on corrective stress.
You: Are you going on a business trip to Algiers in June?
Your partner: No, I’m going on a business trip to Algiers in July.
Your partner: No, I’m going on a business trip to Oran in July
Your partner: No, I’m going on a holiday trip to Oran in July
Your partner: No, Mary is going on a business trip to Oran in July
WORKING WITH WORDS (p.165)
Act. One (p.165)
Memo
The employees of the company are dissatisfied with their working conditions. Some of them complain about mistreatment and malpractice while others say that the wages are unfair and that the managers are insensitive to their feelings.
The present organization of our company is not efficient. It is time to rearrange and reorganize it so as to re-establish good labour relations.
It is impossible to improve production and productivity if the policy of wages is not reconsidered.
Act. Two (p.165)
Students will write their own Profit and Loss statements and Balance Sheets. If necessary they can get help from their accountancy teacher.
LISTENING AND SPEAKING (pp.166-167)
Act. One (p.166)
a-advertisement
b-in newspapers and magazines
c-The short texts on the lefthand side of the page are ‘work wanted’ ads; the text on the righthand side is a firm offer of recruitment (situations vacant).
Act. Two (p.166)
2-The speakers are talking about the advert on the righthand side of the page. (offer of recruitment/situations vacant)
Act. Three (p.166)
Make sure your students use their own words in giving their summaries. They are supposed to identify the situation, the actors and the problem.
YOUR TURN (p.167-168)
Act. One (p.167)
Go through the tip box before moving on to the activities in this rubric.
The example in the textbook will serve as a model.
Act. Two (p.168)
Illustrate the difference between the present perfect simple and the present perfect continous. Then make the students play the snippets of the dialogue as indicated in the instruction.
WRITE IT UP ( p.168)
Act. One (p.168)
Rashid: He has been working in the sales department for two months, and
he has already mastered all the selling techniques.
Omar: He has been working for six months, but he has not got the list of
all workers in his shift yet.
Rashid: She has been directing a research project since January last year,
and she still hasn’t completed it.
Omar: She has been training to become manager since 2005, and she has
just only got the appointment to the position.
Act. Two (p.169)
Before setting the students to task, check that they know the vocabulary included on page 169. The graphs can help you illustrate the meaning and the use of the words needed for writing an annual report.
90 The production has increased steadily from 650,000 to over 1 million packets of pasta. The number of accidents has fallen sharply from 20 to 2. Absenteism has fallen to the lowest point. ... (The students will give figures to support their statements) ( If necessary refer to SE1 book to have ideas about how graphs can be read.)
READING AND WRITING ( pp.170-171)
Act. One (p.170)
Don’t check all the answers at this stage.
- The picture represents the American women who helped in the war effort in World War II by working ouside their homes.
- The graph represents the growth in the number of firms owned by
women in the late 1980s and 1990s.
Act. Two
Check the guesses you have not checked in activity one.
Act. Three
There are many possible answers.
a- American women went to work outside the home during World War II
in order to/so that they might help in the war effort.
b- They continued to work after the war in order to/in order that they might/
contribute to the rebuilding of their country’s economy.
c- In the 1960’s many of them prefered to stay at home to take care of their
children.
d- Their husbands bought them cars so that they could drive their children
to school.
e- They supplied them with washing machines and *****rs to help them
spend less time on housework.
f- They furnished them with TV sets in order to prevent them from being
bored during their free time.
Act. Four ( pp.170-171)
Go through the tip box before moving on to the activity.
Paragraph 1: World War II gave American women the opportunity to
work outside their homes.
Paragraph 2: The decrease in the number of working women in the 60’s
and 70’s. was caused by economic prosperity.
Paragraph 3: American women worked outside again in the late 1970s and 1980s because of economic crisis.
WRITE IT OUT (pp.172-173)
Act. One (p.172)
Possible answers
a- After the war, American women continued to work side by side with
American men for sometime in order that they might contribute to the
building of their country’s economy .
After the war, American women continued to work side by side with American men in order to contribute to the building of their country’s economy.
b- Many of them preferred staying at home so that they could take care of
their children.
- Many of them preferred staying at home so as to take care of
their children.
c-They highly salaried husbands bought them cars so that they could drive
their children to schooland back.
- They highly salaried husbands bought them cars in order to drive
their children to schooland back.
d- They also supplied them with brand new washing mashines and *****rs
so that they would spend less time on housework.
-They also supplied them with brand new washing mashines and *****rs
so as to spend less time on housework.
e -They furnished them with TV sets so that they might not feel bord during
their free time.
-They furnished them with TV sets so as not to feel bord during their free
time.
Act. Two (p.172)
There are other possible transformations.
a - She took more than forty word-processing lessons in order to have a
job promotion.
-She took more than forty word-processing lessons so that she could have a
job promotion.
b- The government refuses to increase the wages so as not to cause inflation.
- The government refuses to increase the wages in order that they may not
cause inflation.
c- In order to increase the sales, the company recruited an expert in
marketing.
- The company recruited an expert in marketing so that the sales would
increase.
92 d- To protect the local industry, the government imposed new tariffs on
imports.
- The government imposed new tariffs on imports in order that the local
Industry could be protected.
e- In order not to disappoint private exporters, the government will lower
the duties.
- The government will lower the duties so that private exporters may not be
disappointed.
Act. Three (p.173)
The students will
Confidential report
Introduction:
The purpose of this report is to evaluate the performance of Leila Derradj, Production Manager of Autocar, during the year 2005. The report details the decisions that Leila Derradj took month by month in several areas.
Findings:
Leila Derradj was appointed on 2 January, 2005 so that she would help increase production.
In February, she re-organized the department so as to have more control on the staff and the work to be done. In March, she introduced break time for workers on the assembly line so that they could improve production. She introduced also a flexible time scheme for female employees of the company. In April, she put suggestion boxes in order that workers might give their opinion on the company. On June, she held a meeting with the workers so that they could participate in decision-making. Finally she introduced new items in work contract for workers...
Conclusion:

[FONT=&quot]:
Leila Derradj’s decisions have led to a new management style. The annual turnover has increased steadily. There has been a peak in productivity and sales have increased considerably which has made profits reach a sharp rise.
I therefore strongly recommend to maintain Miss Leila Derraj in her position as production manager of Autocar.
WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE ? (p. 175)
Skills check (p.175)
TEXT NINE (p. 178) ECONOMIC FREEDOM
READING COMPREHENSION
QUESTION ONE
Circle true or false. If false, give the correct information.
A. The US economy may be threatened by the intervention of the government
B. Human freedom means that the state should intervene.
C. All rules and negotiations are laid down by a government official.
D. Americans are happy with the present restrictions on their freedom.
E. Today, at least 40 % of the American citizens income goes to the government.
(Key: Statements B.and D are false .)
QUESTION TWO (Key: A and D are adverbs.)
Circle the adverbs in the checklist below.
A. greatly
B. economy
C. costly
D. currently
E. necessary
QUESTION THREE (Key: give= offer, save=/= spend)
Make up pairs of synonyms and antonyms from the list below.
A. give
B. save
C. spend
D. offer
E. choose
WRITTEN COMPOSITION
At the end of the text, the writer says : « the urgent need today is to eliminate restrictions, not add to them ». What other restrictions can you think of that can be eliminated ?
ERRATUM
Due to technical problems beyond our control and the tight publication deadline. a number of errors have inadvertently slipped into some of the texts of the coursebook. Instead of enumerating and correcting these errors in an erratum, we have thought it wise to mention and correct them in the answer keys of this book.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
n[/FONT] [/FONT] [/FONT] [/FONT] [/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

بلا مزية حنونة انا كي عدت محتاجة الحلول قلت بالاك كشما واحد محتاجهم كي حالتي

لإعلاناتكم وإشهاراتكم عبر صفحات منتدى اللمة الجزائرية، ولمزيد من التفاصيل ... تواصلوا معنا
العودة